Sr. Transportation Engineer / Practice Area Lead – Ames, Iowa
WHKS has a great opportunity available for a top technical expert in transportation engineering to act as technical advisor to WHKS Senior Leadership, Team Leads, and Project Managers. The successful candidate will be well-versed in transportation engineering principals and maintain a keen awareness of technical developments within the field of transportation engineering. This is a great opportunity for the right person looking to provide technical assistance on transportation projects from the proposal stage through project closeout.
WHKS strives to provide a flexible, supportive, and collaborative workplace where individuals can utilize and develop their strengths and pursue their interests in Civil Engineering. WHKS offers excellent compensation and benefits, as well as work schedule flexibility.
Responsibilities may include:
- Lead a team of engineers on general highway/roadway design tasks for Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT) projects across the state
- Maintain awareness of industry practices, guidelines, and standards specific to the transportation field
- Provide advice on technical issues to Senior Leadership, Team Leads, and Project Managers
- Assist with proposals on a technical level
- Effectively communicate with clients to develop strong relationships, review project needs, and secure contracts
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Civil Engineering
- Iowa P.E. or ability to obtain within 6 months
- 10 or more years of professional engineering experience on transportation projects, including project management experience and proposal coordination.
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous client management/ business development a plus
- Solid understanding of Iowa DOT publications, particularly design manuals